[ooni-talk] Measuring HTTP/3 censorship with OONI Probe

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Wed Jan 19 17:31:09 UTC 2022

Hello,

Last year, the OONI team collaborated with Kathrin Elmenhorst on adding
HTTP/3 support to OONI Probe (through our urlgetter research tool) to
investigate *HTTP/3 censorship in China, Iran, Kazakhstan, and India*.

The results of this research were documented in a research paper that was
published by the AMC Internet Measurement Conference:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3487552.3487836

Today, Kathrin (who's now an OTF Information Controls Fellow with OONI)
published a blog post which provides a *summary of these research findings*
: https://ooni.org/post/2022-http3-measurements-paper/

We discovered that the deployment of HTTP/3 censorship varies significantly
between the observed countries and networks. While some censors do not
filter HTTP/3 traffic at all and some collaterally block HTTP/3 hosts, we
uncovered HTTP/3-targeting censorship in Iran.

Read Kathrin's summary of findings to learn more:
https://ooni.org/post/2022-http3-measurements-paper/

Best,

OONI team.