[ooni-talk] Help test beta for automated testing on OONI Probe Android

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Thu Apr 22 12:22:43 UTC 2021

Hi friends,

We are excited to share that we have a *beta version for automated testing
on OONI Probe Android*!

This means that you can have *OONI Probe run all tests automatically
multiple times per day* (without having to remember to run OONI Probe or do
anything).

If you're on Android, please help test the beta version:

1. Join the beta program:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.openobservatory.ooniprobe

2. Update (through the Play Store) to *OONI Probe 3.0.0-beta.1* (Android)

3. Through the OONI Probe 3.0.0-beta.1 app, please tap *Settings* -> *Automated
testing* and *enable* the "*Run tests automatically*" setting.

We recommend having automated tests run when you're connected to WiFi and
while your phone is charging (though you can configure this in the
"Automated testing" settings).

Now OONI Probe will run all tests automatically every hour (if you're
connected to WiFi and your phone is charging -- depending on your settings).

To avoid cluttering the UI of your Test Results screen, the test results
from automated testing will only be available on OONI Explorer (published
automatically in real-time): https://explorer.ooni.org/

We would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have for
improvements! This will help us check if everything works well before we
release automated OONI Probe testing officially.

You can *share your feedback with my colleague Lorenzo* (
lorenzo at openobservatory.org), or by opening tickets at the following
repository: https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues

Happy to address any questions you may have.

Thanks for your time and support!

Best,

Maria.