[ooni-talk] New OONI experiment for measuring encrypted DNS blocking

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri Oct 30 12:54:33 UTC 2020

Hello,

Our friends at India's Centre for Internet and Society (CIS) implemented
a new OONI experiment (called `dnscheck`) for measuring the blocking of
encrypted DNS transports!

This experiment is currently available via the `miniooni` research
client
(https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine/tree/v0.19.0#building-miniooni)
and we plan to integrate it as part of the Web Connectivity test
(Websites card) in the OONI Probe apps.

CIS India published a great research report ("Investigating Encrypted
DNS Blocking in India") based on this test, which I encourage you to
read:
https://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/investigating-encrypted-dns-blocking-in-india

And we published a short blog post about this here:
https://ooni.org/post/2020-encrypted-dns-blocking-india/

Warm thanks to our friends at CIS India!! It's always super exciting
when community members contribute new experiments to OONI Probe. <3

Stay tuned for the integration of `dnscheck` into OONI Probe!

Cheers,

Maria (on behalf of the OONI team).

--
Maria Xynou