[ooni-talk] OONI Probe Mobile 2.7.1 release

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Mon Nov 23 14:08:41 UTC 2020

Hi friends,

We have released OONI Probe Mobile 2.7.1
(https://ooni.org/install/mobile) which includes the following
noteworthy changes:

* We have removed the "Include Network Info" setting (which enabled you
to opt-out of ASN collection): Now ASN information
(https://ooni.org/support/glossary/#asn) is collected by default. We
decided to do this because measurements that don't include ASN
information are non-actionable.

* We have removed the setting which enabled you to share your IP address
(on an opt-in basis): We decided to remove this setting because we think
the potential risk associated with sharing IP addresses is greater than
the benefit (over the last years, when users chose to share their IP
addresses, we did not find them particularly useful).

Through these changes (in OONI Probe Mobile 2.7.1), we aim to make OONI
Probe measurements both more secure and more actionable. :)

As you will see in the mobile app, we no longer have the "Sharing"
setting (since the above options have been removed), and we have moved
the "Publish Results" setting (which is enabled by default) under the
Privacy tab of the app.

Happy to address any questions.

Thanks,

Maria.