[ooni-talk] Wrong country detected - how to correct?
mattb at sent.com
Sun May 31 16:35:08 UTC 2020
Sorry for the delay on this. I worked out what was causing it: ooniprobe running on my Raspberry Pi uses the localhost's DNS configuration, which is Pi-hole and so a number of sites were blocked by its blacklist settings. Those destinations that weren't blocked use the upstream DNS configured in Pi-hole, which was CloudFlare. This would explain the intermittent destination access, and the unexpected ASN and geoIP information.
I've tested from a Windows PC with my ISP's DNS configured and it works as expected: "probe_asn":"AS6871","probe_cc":"GB" (from one of the msmt-web_connectivity JSON files).
But as that requires manually editing the network settings on my primary PC, I've since downloaded the new tarball to a Linux VM and am running it from there instead. I've got it running the full range of tests right now, so we'll see how it goes.
As most home environments have no egress filtering, and people are increasingly moving away from their ISP's DNS servers, it would be useful if ooniprobe had the ability to specify the DNS servers to use at runtime or in a config file.
In short, the original problem was a PICNIC issue. :) But it would be nice to have some configurability when running the binary.
More information about the ooni-talk