[ooni-talk] Launched: New OONI Probe Desktop App for Windows & macOS

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Apr 21 13:53:09 UTC 2020

Hello,

The OONI team is thrilled to announce the public launch of the new OONI
Probe desktop app for Windows and macOS!

You can download & install the new app here:
https://ooni.org/install/desktop

Learn all about the new OONI Probe desktop app here:
https://ooni.org/post/2020-ooni-probe-desktop-app/

We are super excited because this is the first time that we're
officially supporting Windows, and it's the first time that we're
releasing a native OONI Probe desktop app.

Along with the new OONI Probe desktop app, we're excited to release 2
new tests:

1. Tor test (https://ooni.org/nettest/tor/) => For measuring the
blocking of Tor (https://www.torproject.org/)

2. Psiphon test (https://ooni.org/nettest/psiphon/) => For measuring the
blocking of the Psiphon app (https://psiphon.ca/)

With these new tests, measuring the blocking of circumvention tools
becomes easier than ever before!

The new OONI Probe desktop app also allows for more comprehensive
website testing (in comparison to the OONI Probe mobile app), as you can
test more than 1,000 websites in one run!

Thanks to the amazing Localization Lab community, the new OONI Probe
desktop app is translated into 12 languages: Chinese, Russian, Spanish,
French, Thai, Turkish, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Slovak, Catalan, and
German. The Arabic and Farsi translations will also be released soon!

Warm thanks to the OTF for supporting the development of the OONI Probe
desktop app.

Special thanks to community members for testing and translating the new
OONI Probe desktop app, and for sharing extremely helpful feedback!

We hope you all find the new OONI Probe desktop app useful!

For any further feedback or bug reports, please consider filing tickets
(https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues) or writing to us
(contact at openobservatory.org).

Please help spread the word:
https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/1252594768330309632

Thank you for helping us measure the Internet! Stay safe!

~ OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou
Research & Partnerships Director