[ooni-talk] Subject: FYI: Measurement Kit is deprecated and will be discontinued on 2021-03-14

Simone Basso bassosimone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:33:16 UTC 2020

Dear all,

The OONI team has been using the Measurement Kit
<https://github.com/measurement-kit/measurement-kit> (MK) library since
2017 as its network measurement engine. Because every measurement run using
MK by default also submits measurements to the OONI collector, we know that
there are several people who have also integrated MK into their network
measurement tools and apps.

If you are one of those folks using MK, we’d like to thank you for using it
and inform you that it is now deprecated. At OONI, we are now switching to a
new engine <https://github.com/ooni/probe-engine> written in Go which will
be easier for us to maintain in the long-term. We encourage you to consider
adoption of the new Go probe-engine for your tools.

We will keep maintaining MK for roughly one year and we will stop producing
builds and applying fixes after March 14, 2021.

We articulated an upgrade path in the new README of the Measurement Kit repo
<https://github.com/measurement-kit/measurement-kit/blob/master/README.md>
for all the MK use cases that we know of. If you have questions, comments,
suggestions, or use cases that we didn’t consider, please let us know,
either here or on GitHub
<https://github.com/measurement-kit/measurement-kit/issues>.

Thank you, best,

Simone & the OONI team