[ooni-talk] Report on blocking of abortion sites

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Oct 29 11:50:02 UTC 2019

Hello,

Today, in collaboration with Coding Rights and Women on Waves / Women on
Web, OONI jointly published a report examining the blocking of abortion
rights websites womenonwaves.org and womenonweb.org around the world.

You can read our research report here:
https://ooni.org/post/2019-blocking-abortion-rights-websites-women-on-waves-web/

We were quite recently told that the website of the abortion rights
non-governmental organization womeonwaves.org, which provides
reproductive health services and education to women in countries with
restrictive abortion laws, was inaccessible in Brazil.

To check whether womenonwaves.org is blocked in Brazil and in other
countries, we analyzed OONI measurements from around the world. As part
of our analysis, we also checked whether womenonweb.org - the sister
organization of womenonwaves.org - is blocked around the world too.

In this report, we share OONI data confirming the blocking of
womenonwaves.org in Brazil, as well as in Iran and Turkey.

We also share OONI data on the blocking of womeononweb.org in South
Korea, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia.

We corroborated OONI findings by looking at Censored Planet data
(https://censoredplanet.org/) as well, shared in the report.

To monitor the accessibility of womenonwaves.org and womeonweb.org in
your country:

1. Install the OONI Probe mobile app: https://ooni.org/install/

2. Open this OONI Run link with your OONI Probe mobile app (not with a
web browser):
https://run.ooni.io/nettest?tn=web_connectivity&ta=%7B%22urls%22%3A%5B%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.womenonwaves.org%2F%22%2C%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.womenonweb.org%2F%22%5D%7D&mv=1.2.0

3. Tap “Run” to test womenonwaves.org and womeonweb.org (ensure your VPN
is turned-off)

You will then find the results in the Test Results section of your OONI
Probe mobile app. The results will also automatically be published on
OONI Explorer (https://explorer.ooni.org/) within 24 hours (unless if
you disable publication in the app settings).

Please share the report with your networks:
https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/1189146571780304904

Thank you,

Maria.

--