[ooni-talk] Wrong country detected - how to correct?

Matt Bruce mattb at sent.com
Sat Nov 2 22:52:28 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I'm running ooniprobe on a Raspberry Pi with Pi-Hole and CloudFlare as the upstream DNS, and it seems to be working fine with the exception that it appears to be detecting the wrong country. It's showing "Country: BE". I initially thought it was showing the wrong ASN, too, but lookups using multiple tools confirm it's the correct one.

I assume "BE" means Belgium, but those 2 letters are also the first two of the county in which I live in the UK. Is it possible that ooniprobe is pulling in the state/province/county data as Country rather than the actual country by mistake? (Just guessing).

It's uploading the measurements with this same BE Country information, and I'm concerned that it's polluting OONI data.

I've read the documentation, searched online, etc, but I can't find how to stop the bad detection or to override those values in the ooniprobe.conf file. Assuming I shouldn't just ignore this, can anyone steer me in the right direction, please?

Thanks,
Matt