[ooni-talk] China now blocks all language editions of Wikipedia - OONI report

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Mon May 6 11:46:12 UTC 2019

Hello,

Over the last few weeks, China started blocking all language editions of
Wikipedia.

We share OONI data on the blocking via our latest report:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/2019-china-wikipedia-blocking/

Thanks to our local collaborators, we were able to publish a Chinese
version of the report as well:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/2019-china-wikipedia-blocking.zh/

You can also find the report published on iYouPort:
https://www.iyouport.org/2019-china-wikipedia-blocking/

Previously, Chinese ISPs only blocked the Chinese language edition of
Wikipedia (zh.wikipedia.org).

Now, they are blocking all language editions of *.wikipedia.org (in
addition to zh.wikinews.org) by means of both DNS injection and SNI
filtering (which could perhaps be viewed as a form of "defense in depth"
tactic for network filtering, as they create multiple layers of
censorship that make circumvention harder).

OONI measurements show blocking of all wikipedia.org sub-domains from
25th April 2019 onwards.

Regards,

OONI team.

--