[ooni-talk] OONI in 2018

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Jan 9 15:25:13 UTC 2018

Hello friends,

Happy new year!  Wish you all the very best for 2018 (and all the
other years to come).

As the end of 2017 approached, we published a blog post summarizing some
OONI highlights from 2017: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-in-2017/

Many of these things wouldn't have been possible without the
measurements you collect, the test lists you review, the research
reports you contribute to, the feedback you provide, and your tireless
community engagement efforts. So on behalf of the OONI team, I would
like to warmly THANK YOU all for everything!

We have exciting things coming up for 2018 and we hope to collaborate
with you on them. These are listed in the aforementioned blog post, and
include:

1. *New OONI Probe desktop apps for Windows and macOS:* Our aim is to
    build desktop apps
    <https://ooni.torproject.org/post/writing-a-modern-cross-platform-desktop-app/> that
    are as easy to install and use as popular software, enabling more
    communities to engage with censorship measurement research.

2.  *Censorship Alert System:* We aim aim to disseminate timely alerts
    of emergent censorship events around the world through the analysis
    of OONI data.

3.  *Internet Blackout Monitoring methodology:* We’ll be creating
    a methodology
    <https://ooni.torproject.org/post/examining-internet-blackouts/> for
    automatically detecting and examining internet blackouts (i.e. when
    the internet as a whole is rendered inaccessible),
    supporting #KeepItOn <https://www.accessnow.org/keepiton/> and other
    advocacy efforts.

4.  *OONI Probe Orchestration System (OPOS):* Dynamically instrumenting
    <https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec/blob/master/opos/OONI-Probe-Orchestration-System-Design.md> the
    collection of OONI Probe measurements from around the world,
    particularly in response to emergent censorship events.

5.  *Revamped OONI Explorer:* We’ll be revamping OONI Explorer
    <https://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/world/> to improve upon its
    design and usability, enable the export of CSV files, and to present
    the top censorship findings per country based on OONI data (which
    will automatically be updated on an ongoing basis).

6.  *Revamped mobile apps:* We’ll be revamping the OONI Probe mobile
    apps <https://ooni.torproject.org/install/> to improve upon their
    design and usability, and to include more tests.

7.  *Revamped OONI website:* We’ll also be revamping the OONI website
    <https://ooni.torproject.org/> to improve upon its design and
    usability and to include more content pages.

8.  *Research reports:* We’re eager to work with you to publish more
    research reports on internet censorship.

We'll be reaching out to you for specific feedback and involvement, but
for now, I just wanted to share a brief overview.

Feedback is always appreciated, and happy to address any questions you
may have.

Looking forward to an exciting year!

Cheers,

Maria.