[ooni-talk] Considerations for upcoming OONI Probe desktop apps

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Tue Oct 31 12:38:08 UTC 2017

Hello,

Over the next year, the OONI team will be building native OONI Probe
apps for Windows and macOS. Hopefully this will make it easier to
install and run OONI Probe, and to engage others with censorship
measurement research.

To implement these apps, OONI started off by carrying out research to
decide what technology stack to use, and the high-level architecture.

The OONI team experimented with various solutions and documented their
advantages and disadvantages. OONI's Arturo published a blog post
outlining the architecture and design considerations that we made for
the implementation of OONI Probe desktop apps, as a result of research
and experimentation with a variety of libraries and approaches.

This document, outlining the rationale behind our choices for the apps,
is available here:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/writing-a-modern-cross-platform-desktop-app/

Always open to your feedback and suggestions.

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou
Research and Partnerships Coordinator