[ooni-talk] Specifying the term "vendor" on OONI Explorer

Anatol anatol at riseup.net
Mon Jan 23 14:21:23 UTC 2017

Dear Oonitarians,

I would like to discuss wether the vagueness of the term 'vendor' on
http://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/ is potentially taking some impact
from understanding OONIs test results for new users. I personally recall
thinking it meant something like "vendors of internet infrastructure"
the first time I visited the explorer, and the only place to figure it
out is in one of the boxes in /highlights/.

I'm not entirely sure what an appropriate specification should look
like, I guess it's a balance between correct definition and convenience
in length - with a focus on the first my proposal would be "vendors of
[potentially] traffic manipulating software" - but that's so long it
will probably break the design of the front page. Maybe if someone knows
a shorter, appropriate synonym for "[potentially] traffic manipulating
software" ?

Best wishes,

Anatol