[ooni-talk] False positives how to correct?

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Sat Apr 15 08:30:02 UTC 2017

Hi Talk & Operator lists,

First of all apologies for cross posting, I would assume this better firsts the operators list; however that seems such a low volume list, I thought maybe talk would be better. When the ooniprobe app was released for IOS I decided to run it, but the manual triggering made my participation somewhat low.

However despite no RPM's being available, I decided to add ooniprobe to my Tor relay as well. It was a little tricky getting it to work with the Tor running. But now I'm faced with some false positives on the reports and no clear way where to look or check for fixes as they are not actually blocked or filtered.

For the Tor check itself I get: "Evidence of possible censorship / Tor version 0.2.9.10 appears to be blocked." But when I check the Tor "tcp connect" then it's about 50% hit / miss ratio. Even the normal "Web connectivity" fails for https://mail.yahoo.com but when I'm checking manually;
> [root at tornode ~]# curl https://mail.yahoo.com
> <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

It seems just fine.

Maybe it's all due to the fact I'm not running ooniprobe as root but as an unprivileged user. This kind of brings me to the next thing. Documentation, I have found the wiki, tickets on Tor's Trac and Issues on github, but it's not clear to me where to find more documentation. The installation guide on the ooni portal doesn't mention whether one should be running as root, or actually suggests not to.

Please advice.
Thanks,
Stijn

Info about platform:
- Centos7 X86_64
- No NAT, Dualstack IPv4/IPv6
- Runs Tor as Relay version 0.2.9.10
- Ooniprobe 2.2.0 installed via pip install github.com/<..>/master.zip
- Ooniprobe (and Tor) run each as unprivileged users (other accounts)
- Host performs no other tasks/functions
- IPtables active, rule based on user: allow all outbound
- No oddities in messages,secure,audit etc.
- Not sure how to get usefull bits out of measurements.njson;
-- happy to be pointed at someplace. As maybe this has where things go wrong.