[ooni-talk] OONI Taiwan is not a "Province" of China

isis agora lovecruft isis at torproject.org
Thu Nov 17 08:32:06 UTC 2016

Arturo Filastò transcribed 3.4K bytes:
> Hi Andri,
>
> We don’t maintain this information ourselves, so it wasn’t our choice how to label Taiwan.
>
> In this specific case we are using the following source for country names:
> https://github.com/OpenBookPrices/country-data
>
> It seems like they have “fixed” the issue with the incorrect labelling of Taiwan in
> https://github.com/OpenBookPrices/country-data/commit/f62215957ce6970d192b52291585ed94dec6bc26
>
> We have updated the data source to latest version so now Taiwan is labelled as
> just “Taiwan”.
>
> So sorry that this issue may have offended you or others.
>
> ~ Arturo
>
> > On Nov 16, 2016, at 07:11, Andri Effendi <fusionman133 at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi OONI community,
> >
> > Please correct this information, you folks should know better.
> >
> > Taiwan is not a "Province" of China.
> >
> > It is extremely offensive to Taiwanese People to suggest they are a
> > province of mainland china.
> >
> > If OONI is brave enough to expose censorship, please be brave enough to
> > recognize Taiwan.
> >
> > Taiwan's official name is "The Republic of China".
> >
> > All Passports, Laws and other Legal Documentation, Legal Courts, Police,
> > Money, Military, Visa's, Free Elections, Constitution, Universities,
> > Drivers License, Education System etc. Exclusively recognize the
> > Authority and Sovereignty of "The Republic of China".
> >
> > To deny that is to deny reality.
> >
> > "The People's Republic of China" the mainland have NO legal authority
> > over "The Republic of China (Taiwan)".
> >
> > I highly urge you to change the labeling of Taiwan, to "Republic of
> > China (Taiwan)" or simply "Taiwan" if you are afraid that recognizing
> > Taiwan as a Sovereign independent Nation State is too much to ask.
> >
> > https://explorer.ooni.torproject.org/country/TW
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > --
> > Andri Effendi <fusionman133 at gmx.de>
> > GPG fingerprint: 8438 138D ECDA 05E0 591F  F2B4 4721 0F03 AC24 DF73
> > Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted.

Hi Andri,

This summer, I was fortunate to have to opportunity to visit Taiwan with a
native resident.  While I maybe know more about countries within China's
"9-dash line" that most Americans, I did not really understand Taiwan's
independence (and excellence) until witnessing it in person.  It *really* is a
separate country from China; it is not the same country at all.

The Taiwanese people have much (some subtle, some less so) artwork asserting
their independence from mainland China.  One of my favourites is these
stickers which many Taiwanese put on their passports to re-label them with the
correct name of the country (and the shape of the island as the belly of an
adorable Humpback Whale!):

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/08/12/i-am-from-the-republic-of-taiwan-taiwanese-declare-independence-with-passport-stickers/

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that even people who have good intentions and
good politics, as Westerners, they might not know the details of the extensive
political fights between the mainland and other territories and islands.  I
didn't know either.  We are not taught these things over here. :/

明天拆政府!

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft