[ooni-talk] logs and some way to know how much remains to be done when running the deck and having local reports.

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Sat Aug 13 13:55:35 UTC 2016

> On Aug 13, 2016, at 10:16, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,

Hi Shirish,

> I ran ooniprobe -i /var/lib/ooni/decks/deck-in/default-user.deck
>
> I also read the manpage but there doesn't seem to be a way to know
> when the tests are completed.

You know that the test is completed once it the process terminates and you stop seeing
output in your terminal.

You are right that there currently is no support for knowing the progress of a test
run however. I have filed a ticket on our issue tracker about this here:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/issues/586

> AFAI could tell (and this doesn't seem to be in the man-page) the log
> is at ~/.ooni/ooniprobe.log
>
> I would like to see the report locally so I also know what censorship
> is either my ISP or my country doing and the log is a messy way to
> figure out things.

If you run ooniprobe with the above mentioned command the measurement results will end
up inside of your current working directory.

In the version of ooniprobe you are probably currently running (I assume 1.6.1 or 1.5.1?)
there is no support for showing the results of the experiment in a simple to parse manner.
That is you have to inspect the YAML file yourself and grep for the keys that indicate censorship
or roll out your own parser.

In the 2.x series of ooniprobe we now have a web GUI that will present to you the results
in a much more user friendly manner and you will be able to have a aggregate view of the URLs
tested and which ones presented anomalies that can be a sign of censorship as well as inspect
individual reports.

If you are feeling experimental you can try that out by following the instructions here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2016-August/000457.html

Thanks for running ooniprobe!

~ Arturo