[ooni-talk] Result Reporting

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Mon Oct 27 13:54:32 UTC 2014

Hi Brian!

Welcome to the ooni-talk mailing list!

On 10/27/14, 8:04 AM, Brian Kroll wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I see in the documentation OONI will upload the findings to a hidden
> service using the installed Tor client, but I'm unable to find when
> this happens.

It happens in the moment you start running a test. You can disable this
behavior by using the -n option. Otherwise every time a measurement is
run (that is part of your test), a report entry will be written on the
remote ooniprobe collector.

For an idea of this protocol you can read this spec:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/ooni/spec.git/blob/HEAD:/oonib.md

> Is this after the probe has completed?

It is during the probe is running the test, so even if you kill it at a
certain point something was written.

> My result files are over 120MB in size, can I see the transfer progress?

There is currently no way to monitor transfer progress, but in general
it will have completed by the end of the test. No new measurements will
be scheduled until the report entry has been written.

> Is there a way to kick this process off manually?

You can use the oonireport tool (part of ooniprobe >= 1.2.0). You can run:

$ oonireport status

To see which reports have been submitted and which not.

If you run it with "upload" it will upload them to a collector.

$ oonireport upload

With -c you can specify the collector to submit the report to.

> I have added the daily cron job as stated in the docs, but wanted to
> get more info.

Thanks for helping us measure internet censorship!

If you have any other problems let us know.

~ Arturo