[OONI-operators] OONI on Next Thing Co's C.H.I.P

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Sat Jul 1 12:57:00 UTC 2017

Hi Snehan,

Snehan Kekre:
> Hello excellent ooni people,
>
> I've written a blog post (https://snehankekre.github.io/anti-censorCHIP)
> about installing ooniprobe on a $9 computer called CHIP that runs a flavor
> of Debian.

Thank you for your good words and publishing a blog post about
installing ooniprobe on CHIP.

> I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or comments. I'll
> use them to make necessary changes to reflect accurate delivery. I've used
> some images and a lot of lines from the ooni website.

The 4th step in the install section of the blog post
(https://snehankekre.github.io/anti-censorCHIP#installing-ooniprobe-on-chip)
is not needed since Step 3 will get all the available dependencies.
However given that are a number of bugs
(https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/issues?q=label%3Adebian+is%3Aopen)
in the Debian ooniprobe packages, I will suggest you instead to install
ooniprobe with pip and use the following install guide:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe#unix-systems-with-pip

Usually ooniprobe is more useful when it performs regular (scheduled)
network measurements, I will suggest you to add the following steps to
the install guide:

1. Configure ooniprobe
(https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe#configuring-ooniprobe),
either via the GUI (setup wizard) or from the shell (ooniprobe initialize)

2. Add ooniprobe system service
(https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe#run-ooniprobe-as-a-service-systemd)

> Is there a standard format to provide credit to ooni devs?

Everything published on the website is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License (CC BY 3.0).

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162