[ooni-dev] Exciting new OONI Probe Android 3.0.0 release

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri May 28 11:08:04 UTC 2021

Hello friends,

The OONI team is excited to share that we have released *OONI Probe Android
3.0.0*!

Update now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openobservatory.ooniprobe

This exciting release includes several important new features:

1. *Automated regular testing* -> By enabling automated testing in the
settings, OONI Probe Android will test websites automatically every hour!

2. *New Experimental card* -> You can now run our *new STUN reachability
test*.

3. *Backend proxy support* -> You can enable Psiphon or use a custom proxy
through the new OONI backend proxy settings.

Further information is provided below.

*# Automated testing*

Instead of having to remember to manually run OONI Probe, you can now have
OONI Probe test websites automatically every hour!

All you have to do is *enable the "Run tests automatically" option* in the
new "Automated testing" setting of the OONI Probe Android app.

Through these settings, you can choose whether you'd prefer to have OONI
Probe only run tests while you're connected to WiFi and your phone is
charging (to avoid consuming your data and battery).

By enabling "automated testing", the OONI Probe Android app will test
websites (
https://ooni.org/support/faq/#which-websites-will-i-test-for-censorship-with-ooni-probe)
automatically (in the background) every hour, without requiring you to do
anything. :)

We started off with only automated website testing, but we plan to add
support for automatically running other tests as well in future releases
(similarly to automated testing on OONI Probe Desktop:
https://ooni.org/support/ooni-probe-desktop#automated-ooni-probe-testing).

To avoid over-cluttering the "Test Results" section of your app with too
many test results (from automated runs), they are only made available on
the OONI API (https://api.ooni.io/) and OONI Explorer (
https://explorer.ooni.org/), where they are openly published in near
real-time.

We *strongly recommend enabling automated testing*, as this will help
ensure regular testing (which is crucial for detecting censorship events).

In doing so, you will contribute open data and help the internet freedom
community monitor and respond to censorship events around the world.

*# New Experimental card*

As censorship becomes more sophisticated, we need to ship new censorship
detection tests faster.

To this end, we added a *new Experimental card* in the OONI Probe Android
app, where we plan to release our latest experiments.

This card is meant to provide us agility in adding and removing new
experiments on an ongoing basis (particularly in response to emergent
censorship events).

With OONI Probe Android 3.0.0, you can run our *new STUN reachability test*
:
https://github.com/ooni/spec/blob/master/nettests/ts-025-stun-reachability.md

Many more new tests are upcoming!

*# Backend proxy support*

Are you unable to use OONI Probe (for example, in Iran)?

OONI Probe Android 3.0.0 includes *new backend proxy settings* where you
can:

* Enable Psiphon

* Use a custom proxy

This will help with circumventing any accidental or deliberate OONI Probe
blocking.

We published a blog post where we describe what we did to make OONI Probe
Android more resilient:
https://ooni.org/post/making-ooni-probe-android-more-resilient/

*# Overall*

We consider OONI Probe Android 3.0.0 an important release because:

* You can contribute regular measurements automatically, helping the
internet freedom community research and fight internet censorship worldwide;

* You can run more advanced tests through the new Experimental card, which
is an important milestone for future rapid response efforts;

* Community members in countries like Iran can continue to use OONI Probe
Android and contribute measurements (with the new backend proxy settings).

Please help spread the word:
https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory/status/1397901993600065540

Thank you,

OONI team.