[ooni-dev] Some graphs of OONI coverage (country, continent, test_name)

Joss Wright joss.wright at oii.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 29 16:04:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 02:09:44PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
> Here are some quick graphs visualizing the number of OONI reports in
> various dimensions.
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/graphs/ooni-coverage-20170428/Rplots.pdf
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/graphs/ooni-coverage-20170428/
> (source code)
>
> My research group was interested in knowing, for example, which
> countries have high OONI coverage and which don't. These graphs show
> total volume of reports over time, also broken down by country and
> continent, and the most common test_names.

Hi David,

These are very interesting. Is there any reason that you represented the
per-country ones in the form you did rather than a choropleth? (I've
always found them quite an intuitive way to put across this kind of
data.)

I've adapted your "plot_num_reports_by_country" function to output a
choropleth. Happy to share the code if it's useful:

http://www.pseudonymity.net/~joss/share/num_by_country-choropleth.pdf

Dr. Joss Wright | Research Fellow
Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
Co-Director, Oxford University Cybersecurity Doctoral Training Centre
Faculty Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/?id=176