[ooni-dev] report_ids changed since conversion to JSON?

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Fri Mar 11 17:10:16 UTC 2016

On Mar 8, 2016, at 23:32, David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:

> Did report_ids get regenerated when reports were converted from YAML to
> JSON? I think they did but I want to make sure.
>
> For example, I have a copy of the old YAML report
> 20140428T232415Z-AS1241-http_requests_test-v1-probe.yaml.gz. It has a
> report_id ending in "zuj":
>
> report_filename: 20140428T232415Z-AS1241-http_requests_test-v1-probe.yaml
> report_id: 2014-04-28aqfgmdfzxjwmreodmroptzeugvanvtznhclirzuj
>
> The new corresponding JSON file seems to be
> https://ooni-public.s3.amazonaws.com/json/2014-02-28.json (requires an
> access key). Its report_id instead ends in "ois":
>
> "report_filename": "20140428T232415Z-AS1241-http_requests_test-v1-probe.yaml",
> "report_id": "2014-04-28nltgjbivffrtkqsvpoaudhgsgyafkbfldqncrois”

Hi David,

Yes some of the reports have in fact changed their ID since not all the IDs were being generated
in older versions of OONI and they were being added in the normalisation stage of the data pipeline.

If you need to know the mapping between the old IDs and the new ones I think I can come
up with a way to do that, but can require a bit of time.

Can I ask what you were using the IDs for?

~ Arturo