[ooni-dev] OONI team progress report for January 2016

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Wed Feb 3 18:38:24 UTC 2016

# What we did in January 2016

* Merge the work done by Tyler on his version of the pipeline into our version of it.

* Progress towards finalising the ooni-explorer.
An MVP is now implemented and can be viewed at http://explorer.ooni.io/
(merge the pending PRs into master and scope of out the remaining tasks)

* Setup redundant copy of the pipeline on the humboldt server

* Start review of the ooni data formats to reflect the normalisations done in the pipeline:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec/pull/49

* Start writing specification for the new test that should replace http_requests, dns_consistency and tcp_connect called “web_connectivity”
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec/pull/48

* Start implementing JSON support for the backend:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-backend/pull/62

* Start implementing JSON support in ooni-probe:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/pull/456

* Start implementing the web_connectivity test helper in the backend:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-backend/commit/c8bdf9b31ede6eb55510334ee9cc19043ba1c528

* Start implementing the web_connectivity test in ooni-probe:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/pull/457

* Progress on measurementkit to integrate traceroute test from portolan

* Progress on measurementkit to support starting of tor

* Ran the following weekly gatherings:
http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2016/ooni.2016-01-04-16.59.html
http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2016/ooni.2016-01-18-17.01.html
http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2016/ooni.2016-01-25-17.00.html

# What we plan on doing in February 2016

* Continue working on the web_connectivity test

* Continue work on the web_connectivity backend

* Restore the publishing of reports in the new data-format

~ Arturo