[ooni-dev] Available for collaboration - neumon.org

balooni at espiv.net balooni at espiv.net
Thu May 7 00:11:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

Clodo <clodo at clodo.it> wrote:

> On 05/05/2015 16:19, balooni at espiv.net wrote:

> > Clodo wrote:
> >
> >> I'm the creator of the no-profit service http://www.neumon.org .
> >> It's a project similar to OONI, but focused only on DNS and HTTP.
> >
> > Do you have the code published somewhere?
> We release the source of the probe here:
> https://github.com/AirVPN/neumon-probe
> Written in C#/Mono. I run it from RaspBian on Raspberry PI.

We are creating a Rasberry Pi image for ooniprobe [1].
You are more than welcome to use ooniprobe and start submiting reports
to the OONI backend.. we are about to launch a more effective database
solution for the pipeline.

> But it's not a great piece of software. Simply it fetch from our
> backend the list of domains to try to resolve/fetch, do it, and
> resend the results. All detection are server-side based.

How did you compile this list of domains was reported by other users
or you just used some public blacklists?

> The backend it's written in php, sources never released. Contain
> basically a lot of mysql queries to detect stuffs and generate report.

Interesting, care to share these queries?

> Generally, i have a lot of data, catched automatically, that require
> manual works to obtain nice and clean report, i'm in stall on this
> kind of works.

Let me know if you would like help on this.

> > In any case it would be very interesting to see these results or
> > of the ones that can be made public.
> >
> >> We also build a probe software, to allow other activists connected
> >> to the ISP directly to launch it and detect censorship not based
> >> on DNS.
> >
> > It will be very interesting to instruct the probe software submit
> > results to an ooni backend [2]. In any case the probe software can
> > maybe even written as an ooniprobe test [3].
> I understand you already have some DNS tests on ooniprobe. I will
> study them.
> But actually i don't understand what are the lists of domain tested by
> OONI, how you detect spoof, and where/if you results are published.

Currently we use the URL lists maintained by citizenlab [2]. These lists
are far from complete but they cover a variety of potential blocked
websites per country or globally. But every user can provide its own
list of websites/domains.

An example of a relevant test is the http_requests test [3] that probes
a website/domain from the probes Internet connection and via Tor and
then compares and checks if the body proportions matches.

The reports are being published here [4]. As I mentioned above we are
working in a newer database and pipeline implementation.

> My mysql data it's around 25 gb. I think maybe better (for maintenance
> and independency) not to create OONI tests linked to neumon.org
> project. I think maybe better if i create some webservices in
> neumon.org to expose my data, where OONI backend can fetch
> interesting data for your research.

It will be really nice if you can provide and/or submit this data to
the OONI database pipeline.
In any case we could collaborate on analyzing these data.

> For example, i can provide a list of DNS servers we detect (open to
> query and with recursion enabled).
> Or i can provide a list of
> "open/recursive DNS Server IP -> query domain "xxx" -> the result "ip
> address" it's probably a blocking page.

Indeed this list will be very useful.

[1] https://github.com/anadahz/lepidopter
[2] https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists