[ooni-dev] Available for collaboration - neumon.org

Clodo clodo at clodo.it
Sat May 2 22:35:47 UTC 2015

Hi to all,
i just discovered this project, and i'm studying it.

I'm the creator of the no-profit service http://www.neumon.org .
It's a project similar to OONI, but focused only on DNS and HTTP.

Basically, i detect DNS around the world (the same technique we rebuild
here: http://ipleak.net/ ).
NeuMon browse collected DNS servers, and check if can be queried (open
and recursive). This because most of DNS ISP are recursive only from
it's customers subnet.
We maintain a huge list of domains to check (mix of known blocked
website, top alexa, etc).
Every DNS it's queried for each domains, we collect results, compare
against a known good value and discover custom injection (generally
that point to blocking page, i published some
example here: http://tinyurl.com/pl8znb4 ).

So, i have:
- - a huge list of DNS servers, with country geolocation.
- - lists of domains blocked, country-based. Not exaustive.
- - i know many IP address that are destination of DNS redirection,
typically IP of servers that show html blocking pages. And DNS servers
of ISP that redirect to these addresses.

An example of data i know:
# dig www.sex.com @203.146.237.237 +short
answer: http://203.146.43.133/
i know hundred of domains that redirect to the same answer.

I never made public my results. Because i never know anyone interested
in that data, only about the lists of domains censored. But i never
publish it because contains child pornography domains.

We also build a probe software, to allow other activists connected to
the ISP directly to launch it and detect censorship not based on DNS.
But nobody want to run a software that fetch also child pornography
domains, so nobody want to run our probe.

In general, the NeuMon project has never attracted the interest of no
one, and actually is abandoned and no longer maintained.

I'm here to understand if i can help OONI project (or my system &
collected data).

Ciao!
Fabrizio - Clodo