[ooni-dev] Fact-check my understanding of ooniprobe URL testing lists

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Jul 30 02:20:45 UTC 2015

I'm working on a project where we're using OONI http_requests reports to
find servers that block Tor users. I'd like you to check my
understanding of where the URL lists for testing come from. I wrote:
	A single OONI report typically tests many URLs. For the most
	part, reports use the Citizen Lab URL testing lists
	(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists) which contain about
	1,200 "global" URLs, plus up to about about 900 additional
	country-specific URLs that are tested depending on the country
	in which ooniprobe is run. Users may run ooniprobe with their
	own custom URL lists; the results are uploaded to the global
	report pool. (There are several one-off reports in the data that
	test a single URL.)
Is this true? Has it always been like this? How do ooniprobe users get
updates when the list changes?