[ooni-dev] On the ethics of soliciting measurements and informed consent

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jan 5 15:43:31 UTC 2015

>> A) THE SHORT VERSION
>>
>> WARNING: Running OONI may be illegal in your country, or forbidden by
>> your ISP. By running OONI you will connect to web services which may be
>> banned, and use web censorship circumvention methods such as Tor. The
>> OONI project will publish data submitted by probes, possibly including
>> your IP address or other identifying information. In addition, your use
>> of OONI will be clear to anybody who has access to your computer, and to
>> anybody who can monitor your internet connection (such as your employer,
>> ISP or government).

I would strongly advise against this kind of wording. It reads like
hackers trying to CYA and also to settle some kind of long standing
argument, without considering real world impact of *those* statements.
Advocating for somethign that may be illegal is at best, a CYA but at
worst, actually setting people up for massive problems.

All the best,
Jacob