[ooni-dev] [otf-projects] Revamping the Legal Lab

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Mon Jan 5 14:37:44 UTC 2015

Hi Esther,

I think I had heard of this initiative, but only now I realize how it
could be of good use for my project.

I work on OONI an internet censorship measurement platform. Recently on
our mailing list and on IRC we have had some discussions about the
ethics of measurement and how to better informs users of they risks they
may face when using our software.

You can read more about this discussion here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2014-December/000205.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2014-December/000206.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2014-December/000207.html

Recently a volunteer has suggested some ways to improve our warning text
and you can see that here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2015-January/000208.html

In there there are some question marks that would require some legal
feedback.
Is this something you or somebody from your team would be available to
take a look at?

We would also like in general to be able a go to person for legal
support in the country of one of our users. I think it would be great if
we could add to the legal disclaimer that for some set of countries we
know who these legal help people are and that users should promptly
contact us and we shall direct them to them.

Any feedback and further advice would be great.

Thanks!

~ Arturo