[ooni-dev] On the ethics of soliciting measurements and informed consent

Dan O'Huiginn daniel at ohuiginn.net
Fri Jan 2 17:52:04 UTC 2015

Some further thoughts:

ACTIVE CONSENT. Users should probably be shown the legal/privacy warning
when first using ooni, and have to signal their agreement/understanding.

FILTERING BY CONSENT. Once we have a appropriate warnings in place, we
should encourage researchers to use only that data which comes with
consent. We could include a flag in the data reported. But it might be
enough just to track (and document) the version number after which we
get adequate consent.

ACADEMIC ETHICS REQUIREMENTS. Whatever we come up with for ensuring
consent, we should check it will be sufficient for academics to use our
data. AIUI ethics boards react to specific research proposals, so we
can't get a general all-clear for ooni. The best we can do is for
somebody to propose an ooni-based project, and share with us the
feedback from their university ethics committee.

PUBLISHING CONTENT. ooni users aren't just *downloading* objectionable
content, but *publishing* it in the form of reports. It'd take a
bloody-minded lawyer to make that argument, but there's no shortage of
them in the world...

MONITORING BY THE MONITORED. All sites in our the http_requests have a
complete list of ooni users, don't they? [maybe not identified as such,
but you just need to control 2 and take the intersection of their log
files]. And once your user list is shared by hackforums.net and
911lies.org, you may as well just consider it public ;)

best,
Dan