[ooni-dev] Background on bridge reachability project

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Fri Oct 24 12:35:38 UTC 2014

Hello Oonitarians!

To get an overall idea of the scope of the problem read the meeting
proposal that explains to funders what we are trying to achieve with the
hackfest [1]

Most of the things in there you probably already know.

During a meeting with some people from the visualization team we
collected some notes about the infrastructure we need to setup and the
sort of questions we are trying to answer with the data that we collect
[2].

Now All of the infrastructure detailed there is in place and we have
been collecting data from those 5 machines since about a month.

To get a feeling of what the data we will be analyzing looks like see
the published bridge reachability reports from China [3].
The ones from Russia, Ukraine, Iran are not yet published, but you will
gain access to them during the meeting (though some of them first need
to be redacted to strip out private bridge IPs).

In this thread [4] what is in the notes above, is expanded and I
recommend you read a bit of it.

Some people have already started to do some mockups of visualization and
you can see it here:

Donuts : http://ooniviz.chokepointproject.net/donuts.htm
Bar charts : http://ooniviz.chokepointproject.net/transports.htm
Multi-line charts : http://ooniviz.chokepointproject.net/successes.htm
Time-lines : http://ooniviz.chokepointproject.net/timelines.htm

Let me know if you have any questions and if you want this evening we
can get dinner or grab drinks later. We are going to be in Prenzlauer
Berg at the address that you should have gotten in the other email.

See you soon!

~ Arturo

[1] https://pad.riseup.net/p/bridgereachability_meeting_proposal
[2] https://pad.riseup.net/p/bridgereachability