[ooni-dev] Some ideas on the visualization of OONI data

kudrom kudrom at riseup.net
Sat Oct 18 15:48:58 UTC 2014

On 18/10/14 07:14, David Stainton wrote:

> Hi.
Hi

> I don't think Mongodb would not be a good choice because of the
> reasons you listed: 1. distributed - No Mongodb is not
> distributed... at all. All writes must be performed on the master
> node... and then and then they are serialized before being
> replicated to slave nodes. 2. scales - No Mongodb does not scale.
> (i shouldn't have to explain why because... see #1)
To be honest, at the time i wrote the email i knew that mongoDB
provided sharding which should provide horizontal scaling but at the
time i didn't know how it worked in mongodb, because i hadn't time to
dig through the docs. Now, after learning a bit more about mongodb i
still don't know if i know :) but i agree with you, this is not
distributed.
So, i think we should index the reports to provide a query API, this
still applies, but, should we build a distributed datastore that will
fit with every deployed collector? or a central respository that grabs
the reports of the collectors and index them? should we care at all?

> Furthermore, Mongodb has nested-hash-like column family schemas
> which absolutely does not support arbitrarily complex queries that
> you did not conceive of at the time the schema was created.
> Therefore when using Mongodb and other NoSQL datastores you really
have to be aware of the types
> of query patterns you are likely to use before creating the
> schema.

> Sincerely,
>
> David Stainton
ciao