[ooni-dev] Bridge reachability results

Ruben Bloemgarten ruben at chokepointproject.net
Wed Jul 23 19:26:25 UTC 2014

Arturo,

As we discussed last week, it would be ideal if we could retrieve a file
containing urls of file locations. That way drop-off locations can vary
and scale horizontally without the parser requiring prior knowledge.

Something like this :

ooni section :
probe     -> test
              -> test report     ->  collector
                                         -> generate received report
list (for retransmission in case of intended or unintended failure to
push to publisher)
                                         -> do data scrubbing if
required for data publication
                                         -> compress (scrubbed) report
                                         -> push (scrubbed) compressed
report     -> publisher (a http server)

                                   -> generate/update url list of
reports existing on the publisher

chokepoint section:
parser    ->    retrieve url list from publisher
              ->     process url list
              ->     retrieve file in url
              ->     decompress file
              ->     process report file

The report itself seems fairly clear, but some comments and questions
nevertheless.

Report meta data:
-t, '300']"
Should preferably only contain the filename, not the path, it seems like
there is potential data leakage there.

probe_cc: RU
Does the cc refer to the ip´s cc ?
How is the cc generated, maxmind or ?
If the cc is generated based on an external geolocation service, this
service and the date of generation should preferably be known.

probe_ip: 127.0.0.1
This should preferably be removed entirely before publication. Maybe it
should not be there at all, the ASN seems sufficient.

Report content:

Can you supply a list of possible values or value ranges that can be
expected for the following report entries:
input: ....
success:  is this true/false ?
tor_progress: is this 0-100 ?
tor_progress_summary: this refers to the stage the previous finishes ?
tor_progress_tag: are there values other than 'null' and 'done' ?

As discussed previously, let´s start with processing tests for the
publicly known bridges only. How to manage the secret bridges we should
tackle at a later stage, with the understanding that we should under no
circumstances have access to the actual addresses of those bridges.

- Ruben