[ooni-dev] An Update and The Remaining "M-Lab" Tickets

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Thu Aug 21 12:21:16 UTC 2014

On 8/20/14, 6:45 PM, Taylor Hornby wrote:
> Hi M-Lab and Ooni,
>
> It looks like Least Authority's work on Ooni and M-Lab integration is
> nearing completion. In the past weeks, the M-Lab engineers have worked
> very quickly to get the necessary changes to mlab-ns and the Nagios
> pipeline done. I'm personally really excited to see the first test
> deployment against the real mlab-ns!

This is awesome!

I am also very excited to see this happen after so much work. Can't wait
to see the first reports come in!

> As we were working through our milestones, we sought to avoid blocking,
> so we stepped over a few small tasks that would involve waiting on
> M-Lab. These are all tagged with the "M-Lab" label in the issue tracker:
>
> https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AM-Lab
>
> Someone from M-Lab (and possibly Ooni) should take a look over them
> before any serious deployment begins.
>

>From our side I think this is all good. I committed a fix for the
service-identity dependency so I think #41 can now be closed.

> The most significant outstanding issue is deciding where the Ooni
> Bouncer is going to be hosted: On an M-Lab sliver, or by The Tor
> Project? We designed the mlab-ns integration to be compatible with
> either option.
>
> https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues/7
> https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues/9

I believe the canonical bouncer should be hosted by us on our own
infrastructure. This envisioning the fact that we want to also support
from day 1 the collection of non-approved M-Lab tests on non mlab
collectors.

If this is a problem I am open for discussing an alternative.

~ Art.