[ooni-dev] Ooni / M-Lab integration.

Nathan Wilcox nathan at leastauthority.com
Mon Aug 4 19:24:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Will Hawkins
<hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> To follow-up on Nathan's excellent report, I thought I could shed some
> light on the status of the OONI integration with MLab NS:
>
> 1. Our work is temporarily blocked due an operational issue that should
> be resolved imminently.

Good to know.

> 2. The integration that Nathan mentioned between Nagios and MLab NS is
> incredibly promising. As mentioned previously, MLab NS captures its
> information from the MLab nagios instance using a "baseList" script that
> runs on our monitoring server. As it functions now, MLab NS is filled
> with information based on the output of a baseList call that looks like:
>
> http://nagios.measurementlab.net/baseList?show_state=1&service_name=ndt
>
> which has output like:
>
> ndt.iupui.mlab1.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab2.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab3.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab1.ams01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab2.ams01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab3.ams01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab1.ams02.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
> ndt.iupui.mlab2.ams02.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1
>
> The 0s and 1s are flags indicating whether there is a "problem" with the
> slice or not. I.e., they are backward.
>
> baseList takes an additional parameter known as plugin_output. We will
> update MLab NS to call baseList with this additional parameter. The call
> will look like:
>
> http://nagios.measurementlab.net/baseList?show_state=1&service_name=ndt&plugin_output=1
>
> which has output like:
>
> ndt.iupui.mlab1.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 TCP OK - 0.136 second
> response time on ndt.iupui.mlab1.akl01.measurement-lab.org port 3001
> ndt.iupui.mlab2.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 TCP OK - 0.136 second
> response time on ndt.iupui.mlab2.akl01.measurement-lab.org port 3001
> ndt.iupui.mlab3.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 TCP OK - 0.135 second
> response time on ndt.iupui.mlab3.akl01.measurement-lab.org port 3001
> ndt.iupui.mlab1.ams01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 TCP OK - 0.145 second
> response time on ndt.iupui.mlab1.ams01.measurement-lab.org port 3001
>
> The extra data is the output from the plugin that monitors whether the
> particular service is online. In this example, we are monitoring ndt and
> the plugin reports whether a TCP connection is possible to port 3001
> (NDT's port).
>
> So, the integration point between nagios, MLab NS and OONI will look
> like this:
>
> The nagios plugin written by LA/OONI will use return codes to signal
> whether the OONI service is running. That return value will be the 0s
> and 1s in baseList output. The "string" output from the plugin will be
> the information that needs to be captured in MLab NS and returned with
> OONI queries. Based on pull requests, I suspect the resulting response
> to a baseList call like
>
> http://nagios.measurementlab.net/baseList?show_state=1&service_name=ooni&plugin_output=1
>
> will be something like
>
> ooni.mlab.mlab1.akl01.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 'collector_onion':
> 'testfakenotreal.onion'
> ooni.mlab.mlab1.akl02.measurement-lab.org/ndt 0 1 'collector_onion':
> [...]

This sounds close to what we're imagining.  BTW- we're tracking the
Ooni side of this here:

https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues/10

Could you link in a reference to the nagios plugin interface in that
ticket #10 to help define its closure criteria?

Is the syntax for the plugin-specific detail just anything up to the
next newline?  We'd probably want to encode this in JSON to ensure any
newlines or other weirdness doesn't break this format.  Also, I just
picked JSON because I saw that appengine's ndb has a field type for
that and I figured it could be a generally useful format for any tool.
Another approach is to have a blob property in mlab-ns.

Note, we closed a ticket for the mlab-ns-simulator which was to
"approximate" the nagios pipeline, but it's not realistic at all:

https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues/48

> The 'collector_onion':'testfakenotreal.onion' string will makes its way
> through MLab NS get spit out as tool_extra from a query like:
>
> http://mlab-ns.appspot.com/ooni
>
> that gives something like:
>
> {"city": "Washington", "url":
> "http://ndt.iupui.mlab1.iad01.measurement-lab.org:7123", "ip":
> ["216.156.197.139"], "site": "iad01", "fqdn":
> "ndt.iupui.mlab1.iad01.measurement-lab.org", "country": "US", "port":
> "3001", "tool_extra": 'testfakenotreal.onion' }

That sounds perfect.  Is there a ticket somewhere for the link between
nagios and mlab-ns?  I'd like to keep an eye on that.

How about another ticket for including the "tool_extra" field into the
mlab-ns datastore and returning it in queries?  I sketched out what
these changes might look like here:

https://github.com/m-lab-tools/ooni-support/issues/47

> The TL;DR is that we are well-positioned to make these changes to MLab
> NS that will not require many (any?) fundamental changes to MLab NS or
> our monitoring infrastructure.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

Yep.  Do you have some timeline estimate for the two changes of
incorporating extra details in the nagios -> mlab-ns pipeline, and
updating mlab-ns to store and return the "tool_extra" field?

> 3. As Nathan mentioned, their integration with MLab NS will require a
> query type that is able to list all available answers. I mentioned in
> comments to a ticket that we have something similar to what they need.
> However, I realize now that that approach will not work.
>
> However, there is a better option. MLab NS already has a "thing" at
>
> http://mlab-nstesting.appspot.com/admin/map/ipv4/all
>
> that generates a map of the status of all the services and places them
> on a map. We will modify that by parameterizing the output to allow for
> json responses which will exactly satisfy OONI's needs.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

Yes.  Is that much work?

For the first pass deployment, Ooni's needs will be "just return
everything" or even "just return a random subset that fits into one
response".  Later releases might want to be clever about geo-location
of test_helpers or other policies.

In terms of collectors, the geo location should not matter, since they
are Tor hidden services.  (It's kind of funny to have a map of where
these hidden services will live, something we may want to change
later.)

--
Nathan Wilcox
Least Authoritarian

email: nathan at leastauthority.com
twitter: @least_nathan
PGP: 11169993 / AAAC 5675 E3F7 514C 67ED  E9C9 3BFE 5263 1116 9993