[ooni-dev] M-Lab docs

Stephen Soltesz soltesz at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Sep 3 18:34:19 UTC 2013

Also requested was a description of typical package deployment and
experiment management on M-Lab.

Typical package management follows these basic steps:

1) build rpm package from source repos in http://github.com/m-lab-tools/
2) copy and sign rpm package to M-Lab yum repository

Now per-machine, the slice (i.e. experiment VM) is instantiated:

3) upon slice vm creation on an M-lab server, the first-phase of
initialization includes bootstrapping the yum configuration of the vm's
filesystem (i.e. /etc/yum.conf and /etc/yum.slice.d/slice.repo list).
These import the public signing key, and point to CentOS mirrors and the
M-Lab slice package repository.
4) the second phase of slice initialization then tries to install the
slice package:
   i.e. yum install mlab_ooni
5) on success, the service starts.  on failure, stop.
6) M-Lab uses external monitoring to identify failed services and inform
a directory service like mlab-ns of available servers.

Since the rpm packages are effectively public, they do not include any
private information.  Some experiments have conditional deployment. i.e.
if site==nuq01, then run an additional service.  As well, the initialize
scripts for a package could generate per-machine key pairs.

The scenario I remember us talking about in Berlin involved M-Lab
harvesting the public part of the generated slice keys, or the onion
urls from the ooni slice, and publishing them in some way, through
mlab-ns, or other service like the ooni bouncer.

Does that sound workable for oonib?

Best,
Stephen