[ooni-dev] Meeting notes for OONI weekly call 19 August 2013

Nathan Wilcox nathan at leastauthority.com
Tue Oct 1 22:28:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,

We're starting the Least Authority code audit now.  So far I've been
catching up on issue tickets and email for Ooni.  Also, I just moved
into Mission Social near Tom.  ;-)

There are a few bits from a meeting many weeks ago I wanted to follow up on:

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Arturo Filastò <art at torproject.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised here are the notes for the last OONI weekly call of August 19th
> 2013 18:00 CET.
>
> People present
>
> * Meredith
> * Nathan
> * Tom
> * Arturo
> * Stephen
>
> This is what was discussed:
>
> # Drop /nettest part of API
>
> Stephen raised some good points on the /nettest API. We agreed that since
> keeping track of versioning is something a bit complicated we should not
> implement this feature at this time. We should always update net tests and
> the probe software at the same time, therefore having a feature that could
> possibly lead to this un-alignement is not ideal.
>
> ## Next steps
>
> We will remove from the oonib.md specification the /nettest API and remove
> support for it inside of oonib.
>
> # Doing the security audit with test infrastructure
>
> Nathan said that it would be useful to have oonib deployed in an environment
> that resembles production is useful to them.
>
> We will not manage to have ooni deployed on the m-lab production nodes, but
> we can easily deploy it on the m-lab test nodes.
>
> Stephen says that as long as the package building process keeps on working,
> this will be easy for him to do.

Is there a recent version deployed to M-Lab test nodes?

This would make our work much easier, but isn't strictly necessary: We
can review code without running anything, and where it would help we
can attempt to run code locally.  Having a staging environment is nice
though, because then we avoid spending too much time with
configuration issues and we know the platform is configured correctly.

> Making sure this stays true we have created this ticket:
> https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/issues/161
>
> ## Next steps
>
> OONI team will finish development on oonib, tag a release and test it with
> the deployment scripts.

Which tag should Least Authority focus on for our code audit?

If I don't hear from anyone I'll go with what looks like the most
recent stable tags:

ooni-backend: v1.0.0-rc5
ooni-probe: v1.0.0-rc3

> # Issue of backend collector mapping server side reports
>
> I explained the rationale behind having the test helpers keyed to a
> collector.
>
> As long as we make it that you report to the collector run by the test
> helper you used we will be able, in future versions, to collect also reports
> from the backend side.
>
> # Slight delay on this weeks milestone
>
> We are a bit behind on the next milestone, but we have however a bit of
> buffer with the one before the least authority audit starts.
>
> We will finish it by this week, but we will not change the date on the
> github milestone. It is just expected to be closed on the 25th.
>
> # Merging of wiki with ooni-spec
>
> We agreed that the wiki is going to go into the ooni-spec repository
> (https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/issues/159?source=c)
>
> ## Next steps
>
> Merge the wiki into the ooni-spec repository and add a link in the wiki
> front page pointing to it's new location.
>
> --
>
> If you think I missed something feel free to append your comments to this
> email.
>
> ~ Art.

Nathan Wilcox
Least Authoritarian