[ooni-dev] Notes from meeting today

Meredith Whittaker meredithrachel at google.com
Mon Jul 1 18:40:49 UTC 2013

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for these notes! From vacation, I'll answer your M-Lab questions
quickly (also adding Stephen).

The collector policy implementation is a blocker for deployment on M-Lab.
To complete deployment, it will be necessary for M-Lab to configure this
collector policy, to ensure that the broader M-Lab privacy/openness
policies are adhered to. Thus, I believe it should be a part of this
feature-complete milestone, since it is fundamental to launch.

I can review the M-Lab policies, if that's helpful. However, I don't think
the collector policy should be designed for M-Lab, but should be designed
to allow M-Lab and any other collector to implement their own policies, per
their legal/organizational requirements.

Let me know if you have any questions here. Happy to discuss further.

In the meantime, on the topic of changing the meeting from Hangouts to
"other" -- I have a phone bridge with international dail-in numbers. If
it's helpful we can use it.

Cheers,

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Aaron <aagbsn at torproject.org> wrote:

> Present in call:
>
>   Tom, Aaron, Arturo, Johannes
>

> What we have worked on this week:
>
>   Arturo worked on twisted socks client support and NetTest specification
>   Aaron worked on specification and implementation of the test deck and
> test input api for ooni-probe and ooni-backend (117, 115, 109).
>

> Are there any items blocking?
>
>   No blocking items were raised.
>

> Are we on track to make the first milestone (Fully Specified)
>
>   Aaron and Arturo say yes.
>

> What are we working on this week:
>
>   Aaron and Arturo will be working on issues 115, 117, 91, and 90 this
> week.
>

> Issues that we discussed on the call:
>
>   Tom states that collector policy implementation (issue 109) is not part
> of the feature complete milestone and instead
>   should be in future versions. Aaron and Arturo believe that collector
> policy was a blocking issue for MLAB deployment
>   as discussed at the Berlin meeting. We would like to request feedback
> from MLAB on this point.
>
>   Arturo asked for clarification on issue 107 (do we need to specify each
> unit test?)
>   The resolution was that the unit test spec should be replaced with a
> code coverage report as per Nathan's suggestion.
>   Johannes suggests coveralls.io which writes a code coverage report into
> the README.md.
>
>   We discussed alternatives to using Google Hangout for our weekly meetings
>   Johannes suggests: Mumble.
>   Tom suggests: phones.
>   Can we expose a phone number for call ins into the Google chat? No, but
> it can dial out worldwide (US and Canada free).
>   Aaron Tom and Arturo agree that video chat is nice.
>   Mumble now has a voice-activation feature and Johannes has a mumble
> server that we can use.
>   Google Hangout has some issues on Johannes computer (system load > 4).
>   We agree that the four of us cannot reach a consensus without others
> present and will take this discussion to the mailing list.
>

> See you all next week!
>

> --Aaron

Meredith Whittaker
Program Manager, Google Research