[ooni-dev] M-Lab docs

Meredith Whittaker meredithrachel at google.com
Fri Aug 30 20:50:38 UTC 2013

Hi all,

As an action from today's call, here's a collection of most pertinent M-lab
docs. If you're looking for something that doesn't seem to be here, or if
you have questions, don't hesitate to ask Stephen and me.

Cheers,
Meredith

*Documents: *

   - Platform architecture
doc<http://measurementlab.net/sites/default/files/HowtoContributetoM-LabServerInfrastructure.pdf>.
   The intended audience is hosting partners (who donate
   space/power/connectivity/hardware).
   - Policies and procedures for
approval<http://measurementlab.net/sites/default/files/SubmissionguidelinesforM-Labexperiments.pdf>
of
   new experiments. Note that I wrote this, and that it may not be specific
   enough, but I can answer any questions. Note that OONI has been approved as
   meeting these criteria per the Steering Committee process.
   - Server map <http://measurementlab.net/mlab_sites>. Get a look at the
   global M-Lab footprint.
   - List of existing
M-Lab<http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools> measurement
   tools. Code repos and documentation for individual tools should be
   linked from here. If they're not, let me know and I'll add this.
   - Access existing M-Lab data <http://measurementlab.net/data>, tarballs
   and BigQuery.
   - Blog post describing the process to visualize data using
BigQuery<http://dmadev.com/2012/11/19/visualizing-m-lab-data-with-bigquery/>,
   a good introduction both to the tool and the data structure. If you'd like
   whitelisted access to M-Lab data on BigQuery, let me know and I'll make
   it happen.
   - Founding document<http://measurementlab.net/sites/default/files/mlab_intro_and_server_requirements.pdf>,
   which will give you background on M-Lab's founding motivations. Many of
   the facts quoted here have changed (e.g. number of servers), but as history
   this is instructive.
   - Existing visualizations <http://measurementlab.net/visualization>,
   which are fun and may be instructive.

--