[network-health] v3 onion services unusable for a few hours today

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Jan 28 02:06:32 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 01:54:41PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> The fix imo is that we need to make v3 onion services work under the
> same time assumptions as the other parts of Tor -- if you have a usable
> consensus, then use it.
>
> I've opened this ticket for the network team:
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40237

Ok, we implemented that ticket, and the fix is in Tor 0.4.5.3-rc, which
means it's in the Tor Browser alpha that came out recently.

But to have the v3 onion services working even while the network is
degraded, you need both sides -- client and service -- running the
new version.

I've asked ahf and gus to coordinate with the network team and the
browser team to get this fix into some stables, since we're going to
continue having this topic come up until those stables are out.

--Roger