[network-health] Tor Exit Failures

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Mar 17 10:48:45 UTC 2020

Michael Gerstacker:
> hello
>
>>From time to time (about once a week for one day) the exit scanner of
> arthur edelstein[1] shows my windows exit[2] with a failure rate.
>
> I usually only see this happening when the "Average probability weighted
> failure rate" is high too so i wonder if his measuring is reliable or if it
> is not a problem on my side.
>
> If the failure rate is correct is there a way for me to find out why or
> when the failures are happening?
>
> Georg, you wrote that you are currently doing these tests too.
> Could you tell me the results of my relay?

Here is what I have:

20200217 10/10 success
20200218  9/10 success 1/10 Circuit error: Circuit failed: TIMEOUT
20200219 10/10 success
20200220 10/10 success
20200222 10/10 success
20200224  9/10 success 1/10 Circuit error: 552 No descriptor for
DC81AA3B1D51566DBF27BFA562E4047AEB1C52DA
20200226 10/10 success
20200227 10/10 success
20200228 10/10 success
20200302 10/10 success
20200303 10/10 success
20200304 10/10 success
20200305 10/10 success
20200306 10/10 success
20200308 10/10 success
20200309 10/10 success
20200310 10/10 success
20200312 10/10 success
20200313  9/10 success 1/10 Circuit error: Circuit failed: TIMEOUT
20200315 10/10 success
20200316 10/10 success
20200317 10/10 success

It looks pretty good to me, to be honest. I compared that to what Arthur
has and the results are comparable. I then looked at data Arthur has but
where I did not measure (for whatever reason) but that looks good, too.

So, I am not sure about which failure rate for your relay you are
talking about. If it's the 1/10 items above (or something similar) I
think that's okay. At least I don't think there is something seriously
wrong with your exit relay based on that.

Georg