[network-health] Exits and Tor's IPv4 /16 Path Restriction

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Mar 16 06:32:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm in contact with one of the exit operators in 185.220/16, which
currently contains about 28% of the Tor networks exit capacity:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#aggregate/as/185.220.

They have asked me when that /16 will start causing path selection
issues for tor clients.

The guard and middle probabilities in that /16 are almost 0%, so I
think the answer is:

"Try not to put guards or middles in that /16."

But I thought I'd also mention it here, because there might be wider
network health issues I'm not aware of.

(Since 0.3.5.1-alpha, Tor also checks the IPv6 /32 during path
selection. 2 operators in that IPv4 /16 have separate IPv6 /32s, and
the others don't have IPv6. So IPv4 is the stricter condition here.)

teor