[network-health] Large ASes and Operators

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Feb 17 02:09:47 UTC 2020

Hi Network Health team,

A relay operator recently raised some concerns about a large exit
operator on the tor-relays list:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2020-February/018151.html

I did some analysis of the largest ASes:
 * 23% of guards and 22% of middles (Hetzner)
 * 16% of guards and 12% of middles (OVH)
 * 10% if guards (Online)
 * 20% of exits  (Joshua Peter McQuistan)
 https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#aggregate/as

I think the "Joshua Peter McQuistan" AS is all one operator.

I've opened this ticket to check for bandwidth authority configuration
or location issues:

Are bandwidth authorities concentrating too much bandwidth in one area?

I've also opened this ticket to check for sbws bugs:

Is sbws weighting some relays too high?

Ultimately, I think the answer is "Let's help people run more exits."
(After we finish Sponsor 55, maybe our next step should be IPv6-only
bridges and exits.)

I'm not sure if you want to impose some kind of limits on ASes or
operators in the meantime. I suggest that 20% of Guards, Middles, or
Exits is a useful limit.

teor