[network-health] Mail from tor relay blocked by Microsoft

gus gus at torproject.org
Mon Apr 6 17:37:02 UTC 2020

Hi William,

On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 08:26:35AM -0600, William M Buck wrote:
> I run a relay, or I did until yesterday.
>
> I suppose you know about this problem, new for me. Mail from accounts on my
> server addressed to hotmail.com and live.com addresses suddenly stopped
> being delivered. The bounce message from Microsoft claimed I was on a block
> list.
>
> I checked, and the only list I am on is the one run by
> https://www.dan.me.uk/dnsbl called *.tor.dan.me.uk *which reports every ip
> address participating in Tor, including relays. He warns against using the
> list to block mail, but Microsoft seems to be doing it anyway.
>
> As soon as I stopped the relay, mail began to be accepted again within an
> hour or so.
>
> I have had to shut off my relay because people are complaining they can't
> send mail to their friends/relatives on hotmail or live addresses.
>
> This is a difficult dilemma for me. Much as I want to continue to run the
> relay, the people using my mail server aren't going to be agreeable to being
> told they can send mail to friends on hotmail.
>
> I wrote also to the guy, Dan, in the U.K. to tell him his list is being used
> in this way.

If you're running a Tor node on a non-dedicated connection, I'd
recommend trying to run a bridge[1]. More info about bridges on our
Community portal[2].

Or if you want to help with some experimental and under development
tech, you can try to run a Snowflake proxy:
https://snowflake.torproject.org/

all the best,
Gus

[1] https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/