[network-health] Mail from tor relay blocked by Microsoft

William M Buck mcdonaldbuck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:26:35 UTC 2020

I run a relay, or I did until yesterday.

I suppose you know about this problem, new for me. Mail from accounts on
my server addressed to hotmail.com and live.com addresses suddenly
stopped being delivered. The bounce message from Microsoft claimed I was
on a block list.

I checked, and the only list I am on is the one run by
https://www.dan.me.uk/dnsbl called *.tor.dan.me.uk *which reports every
ip address participating in Tor, including relays. He warns against
using the list to block mail, but Microsoft seems to be doing it anyway.

As soon as I stopped the relay, mail began to be accepted again within
an hour or so.

I have had to shut off my relay because people are complaining they
can't send mail to their friends/relatives on hotmail or live addresses.

This is a difficult dilemma for me. Much as I want to continue to run
the relay, the people using my mail server aren't going to be agreeable
to being told they can send mail to friends on hotmail.

I wrote also to the guy, Dan, in the U.K. to tell him his list is being
used in this way.