[network-health] Changes on the Tor Network - #31549

Stephanie A. Whited steph at torproject.org
Mon Sep 9 20:19:28 UTC 2019

Hi!

David Goulet:
> Hello All!
>
> I've put a small set of people in CC that are involved in this change for now
> so we can make good progress forward! (and not stall)
>
> We are soon (some low values of "soon" hopefully) to reject all non supported
> relays, by tor version, from the network:
>
>     https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31549
>
> At this very point in time, this represents in total ~12.72% of the total
> bandwidth weight thus roughly 1/8th of the network will be removed (in terms
> of bandwidth capability).
>
> In terms of "relay volume", this change will remove about ~1/7th of the total
> network or 923/6349.
>
> Roger already emailed hundred(s?) of operators to ask them to upgrade and many
> have responded but as you can see, the total bandwidth weight has barely moved
> :S.

>     https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2019-September/017711.html
>
> So let say for a journalist, or our millions of users, this will mean a
> "considerable" drop in the Metrics graph of total number of relays.
> Fortunately, we can explain it :). So lets be pro-active!
>
> I _strongly_ think we should do a blog post at minimum to tell the world what
> is about to happen and not silently do this. It should have a clear, simple,
> easy section of "If you run a relay, please upgrade by doing so ...".
>
> Hopefully, with a bigger microphone, we'll be able to drop the 12.72% to
> something much more acceptable.
>
> We have _good_ reasons to do it so this is not a public debate but rather an
> informative post.
>
> I'm voluntering to help draft this but since I'm not a native English speaker,
> I will need help.
>
> @stephw: What do you think here? Advice on how to proceed?

We should definitely have a blog post and share on all of our channels +
reddit.

I think we should choose a date that this will happen and stick to it.
This way people will take it seriously and we can campaign more
effectively. We should probably give at least a month from when we
publish the rejection date. T

We can also take this opportunity to promote setting up new relays.

Next up very soon on my plate is a push for getting companies to set up
more relays, so these campaigns could coincide depending on when you
want to go through with it.

I started a campaign brief we can keep filling out after more decisions
are made:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JnE0tIrGVGlGabD6bAv5zjvbwHY3wjLTCOItWoXrS4w/edit?usp=sharing

Happy to help edit the post!

-Steph