[network-health] noisebridge01

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Sep 9 14:21:24 UTC 2019

Hello Leif!

Since you are listed as a Tor Admin for the Noisebridge Tor side, this email I
hope finds its way to your Inbox.

We are soon about to reject all non supported relays from the network mostly
for stability and security reasons:

We are in the process of contacting relay _and_ bridge operators about it.

It turns out that "noisebridge01" is in this category running Tor 0.3.3.9
which is End Of Life but also has a security issue.

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/21D96945B790F10D00071BB3336F0AE9200E5C8C

This bridge is particurlarly important because it is shipped as a default
obfs4 bridge in Tor Browser.

Depending on your OS, it would be grand to upgrade to our latest stable which
is currently 0.4.1.5. You can find the list of our supported releases here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases#Listofreleases

We are also starting a more long term effort to ask relay operators to keep up
to date with our latest stable as much as possible (meaning _not_ the LTS) in
order for the network to be able to upgrade faster and thus help reduce the
very long migration path which is especially important for things like
security issue at the protocol level.

Of course, if you are running Debian/Ubuntu, deb.torproject.org is the right
place to start with:

https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

Let us know if we can help in any ways to make this transition easier.

Huge thanks!
David

--
gKCHWw6NdT9QtZbud0Uwm756HrH5xaSQ5vhmb6j2WUk=