[network-health] Upgrade your 'Traumflug' Tor relay?

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Sep 2 11:47:01 UTC 2019

Hi,

see me a bit surprised to get the email, didn't expect it.

Am 02.09.19 um 10:50 schrieb Roger Dingledine:

> You are running a Tor relay, which is great:
> http://rougmnvswfsmd4dq.onion/rs.html#details/6D7079FDCC0E29DFF8FD239AE0F0D74AE63D3D61
>
> First: that Tor version is obsolete, and because of old bugs, we will
> soon cut relays running those versions out of the network. Please
> consider upgrading!

Yes, I'm aware of this. Updating isn't trivial.

> Second: let us know if there is any way to help you bump up the
> bandwidth that you are allocating to the Tor relay. :)
Not much. This relay is running on consumer internet access, 60 Mbit download, but only 3 Mbit upload, so 200 kB/s is about what I can allocate without disturbing other traffic too much.

> You can find Tor packages for your distro / OS here:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#PlatformspecificInstructions

Unfortunately there's none for OpenWRT, which happens to be the router's OS. This relay is running directly on the router, the only device running 24/7 here.

There's hope: next OpenWRT release will provide Tor v0.4.1.5, so it's just a matter of waiting for this to be released.

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/1ac69ffc594fc8e3692ceb63a2013f909033307c

Another note: this relay is running for more than two years already (always "Traumflug"). I just had to generate new keys, because previous keys aborted with "The signing cert we have was not signed with the master key we loaded!" (not sure what exactly caused this).

Markus