[network-health] Upgrade your 'droideka' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Mon Oct 14 10:34:24 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 11:12:04PM +0200, Damien Desfontaines wrote:
> Thanks for letting me know, this should be fixed now (I'm now using
> the Tor package from Debian Buster).

Great! But, it looks like the relay isn't running currently? Did something
go wrong after the upgrade?

Your tor-droideka at desfontain.es address also seems to be bouncing now --
hopefully that doesn't mean you have deleted all of your Tor things. :)

> Is there a way to get automated
> warnings when that happens? I had unattended-upgrades set up on this
> machine, but due to an old /etc/apt/sources.list, I was stuck on an
> older Tor version.

Hm. I think there are a variety of monitoring approaches that folks
use. I would suggest looking at the wiki relay guide:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#Maintainingarelay
But those are mostly aimed toward "did the process go away", not more
subtle issues.

I guess another answer would be to encourage you to actually look at
the warning-level and err-level logs that Tor produces. :) In theory
they should be pretty light, and can warn you about a variety of things
that need fixing.

Thanks!
--Roger