[network-health] Upgrade your 'Traumflug' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Mon Oct 14 10:26:34 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 01:47:01PM +0200, Markus Hitter wrote:
> There's hope: next OpenWRT release will provide Tor v0.4.1.5, so it's just a matter of waiting for this to be released.
>
> https://github.com/openwrt/packages/commit/1ac69ffc594fc8e3692ceb63a2013f909033307c

Ok, sounds good.

I notice that there is an 0.4.1.6 out, as of almost a month ago, and
as we wait longer there will probably be a few more point releases. I
don't see any huge bugs addressed in the 0.4.1.6 minor version, but
that doesn't mean anything about whether the next minor version will
have something important.

I also looked a bit at the init script:
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/tor/files/tor.init
and it doesn't do things like raising the max number of file descriptors
("ulimit -n") so it will have problems being a proper relay.

In sum, I would say to be wary of running a relay with the current (or
upcoming) openwrt package, because it is missing many of the things that
a proper Tor package should have. Maybe that means we should encourage
you to fix up the openwrt package? Or maybe that means we should warn
people away from it? :)

Thanks,
--Roger