[network-health] Upgrade your 'justinian' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Oct 13 09:02:23 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 04:46:18PM -0700, Justin C Miller wrote:
> Thanks, Roger and the network health team. FYI, I had set up a script which updated weekly following Jessie Frazelle's jess/tor-relay docker image. It looks like that image is still on the 0.3.x versions, so I've switched to another which tracks the Alpine Linux community package repo.

Looks great! Thanks.

> Since jess/tor-relay seems to be a popular package, I imagine a number of people are in the same boat. I'd love to see an official Tor project docker image -- I'd even be happy to help out on such an implementation. Any thoughts or pointers on the feasibility of that?

Hm! Yeah, I've been pondering this one. I think we don't have the time
to do a docker image properly, and it would be a shame to do yet another
of the type you describe above, where they work for a little while and
then go out of date.

That said, I wonder if instead a docker image that includes the Tor
software (meaning you have to keep updating the image), instead have a
docker image that includes the deb.torproject.org repository configured
properly -- so then the docker image fetches the Tor software and
keeps it up to date using apt. Maybe that approach is antithetical
to the docker mindset? And it wouldn't be perfect either because the
deb.torproject.org repository sees a new signing subkey every year or
so. So maybe this idea suffers from the same problems as the other ones,
just a bit better hidden.

--Roger