[network-health] Upgrade your 'torexitrendrag' Tor relay?

Damien Gardner rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Oct 12 01:08:02 UTC 2019

G'day Roger,

That was a fun morning!  Managed to get that old VM up to Ubuntu 16.04,
which you still have a repo for, and got tor upgraded on it :)

Though looks like the node may have been blacklisted due to the old tor
version?

Oct 12 12:02:10 minbar Tor[12066]: http status 400 ("Fingerprint is marked
rejected -- if you think this is a mistake please set a valid email address
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '204.13.164.118:80'.
Please correct.
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '154.35.175.225:80'.
Please correct.
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '199.58.81.140:80'.
Please correct.
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '131.188.40.189:80'.
Please correct.
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '86.59.21.38:80'.
Please correct.
Oct 12 12:02:11 minbar Tor[12066]: http status 400 ("Fingerprint is marked
rejected -- if you think this is a mistake please set a valid email address
in ContactInfo and send an email to bad-relays at lists.torproject.org
mentioning your fingerprint(s)?") response from dirserver '171.25.193.9:443'.
Please correct.

Is that what these errors mean? If that's all it is, are you able to
un-blacklist it please (Or should I email bad-relays? I was't sure if I
should use this current thread or start a new one)?  It's now running:

Tor 0.4.1.6 running on Linux with Libevent 2.0.21-stable, OpenSSL 1.0.2g,
Zlib 1.2.8, Liblzma 5.1.0alpha, and Libzstd N/A.

Hoping this is new enough?  If not, I can try taking it up to ubuntu 18.04,
but that may be problematic as it's living on a VERY old xen host :D

Regarding bandwidth, I don't have any of the RelayBandwidth* setting
configured in torrc - so had always just assumed it would be open slather.
Do I need to specifically set these to 0?  As long as it doesn't go nuts
(aka saturate the gig ethernet into the host or affect paying customers on
the segment), I don't really mind too much now much traffic it uses.

How often does the node status page update? (
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/72657B96BF99B28FBD9F2B036A590AA8A4535422)
It's been a few hours now since the timestamp at the bottom was updated,
when I convert from UTC to local :)

Regards,

Damien